Subject: Bioinformatics job openings at Berkeley Lab / NERSC / JGI
From: Richard Gerber <[email-masked]>
To: "BABBITT, PATRICIA" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2014 10:50:04 -0700

Dear Dr. Babbitt,

I'm writing to see if your department might have any graduating students or
postdocs who would be interested in a job opening we have at Berkeley Lab
working at the interface between high performance scientific computing/data
analysis and bioinformatics. The position supports research being conducted
at the DOE Joint Genome Institute. Here is a summary of the position:

NERSC and the Joint Genome Institute (JGI) are searching for an individual
who can help biologists with their most demanding computing challenges. JGI
provides production sequencing and genomics for the Department of Energy.
These activities are critical to the DOE missions in areas related to
bioenergy, carbon cycling and biogeochemistry.  JGI has partnered with
NERSC, the DOE Office of Science’s flagship computing center, a world
leader in providing high-performance computing tools and expertise that
enable computational science of scale. This partnership gives JGI staff
access to supercomputer class systems, advanced architectures and
large-scale storage systems enabling JGI to address a variety of demanding
genomic problems. This position will break down barriers to collaboration
between computer scientists, biologists and genomicists.  The position will
support the JGI mission by directly engaging with biologists and
bioinformaticists to assist them with using the range of computational
resources at their disposal effectively.
(https://lbl.taleo.net/careersection/jobdetail.ftl?job=79517)

I'd appreciate it if this position could in any way be advertised at UCSF.

The NERSC/JGI collaboration, after a bit of a slow start, has recently made
major advances in data management and analysis. There are a number of
initiatives underway to fully modernize JGI's software development
practices and take advantage of supercomputing resources. If there is
interest, we'd be happy to come give a talk or seminar describing the high
performance computing and data/workflow efforts underway at NERSC and JGI.

If you have any questions or want more information, please don't hesitate
to send me email of give me a call.

Regards,
Richard Gerber

Richard Gerber, Ph.D.
Senior Science Advisor | User Services Group Lead
National Energy Research Scientific Computing Center <http://www.nersc.gov/>
| Berkeley Lab <http://www.lbl.gov/>
[email-masked] | phone: (510) 486-6820   fax: 510-486-4316